Monday, February 7, 2011

VICKI!!!

Many years ago we took a family trip to Universal Studios. In one of the many shows we attended, a volunteer was chosen to come up on stage. In this one particular show, Grandma Vicki was chosen. She played along wonderfully with the actors and it was a joke the entire show that whenever they needed something---they would call for "VICKI!!!!" She was great, even in the moment her teeth came a little un-done while her face was on the big screen. She was a star for sure!!! From then on out...in our family, she was "VICKI"!!!

Well...our VICKI went to Heaven last Thursday evening. She lived a long 88 years and was a huge blessing to so many of us. I have so many memories that involve my Grandma Vicki, just like the one above, and they all make me smile and warm my heart.

My wedding shower was a "Special Memory Shower", where each guest wrote a special memory they had of me. Grandma Vicki attended and this is what she wrote:
"I will never forget when E was born into our family. Don called to tell me he was bringing his friend Katherine to meet me before they got married, which they planned to do in July. He thought it would be nice for us to get acquainted before the wedding.
When that day finally came, I not only met Katherine, but with her came this adorable little girl with the Shirley Temple curls and personality and the most beautiful red hair I had ever seen. E not only stole my heart but as she went around the neighborhood she impressed all the neighbors and my friends with her friendly little manners and that perky little smile.
I not only gained a daughter-in-law, but a new little grand-daughter as well.
Grandma Vicki"

Tears come to my eyes as I read that again. Grandma Vicki was part of our everyday life growing up. She attended birthdays, holidays, graduations, bridal showers, my wedding and our baby shower for Bean...all in that wonderful supportive way Grandma's do. We were so blessed to have her close by. :)

And I remember her ENJOYING life...so many times she declared a meal or a gift or anything, "the BEST ever!" It too became a joke in our family, but I think that's a wonderful way to approach life! I know to her family and friends, she too is one of "the best ever!" :)

This past Christmas, my boys received a package from Grandma Vicki with a stuffed animal for each of them. I was always amazed how she would think of us and them--in the smallest, yet BIGGEST, of ways. I so wish she could have seen them more...I know she checked this blog---but I knew how much she loved us. And my boys will grow up knowing and laughing at all the wonderful stories of their Great Grandma Vicki. :)


This picture is from our last visit with Grandma. It's from January 2009. (in fact, I think there is a blog post about their visit!) Here she is with 10 week old baby Boo.


Our hearts are full of sadness as we say good-bye, but we are also filled with the love, joy and memories she brought to our loves. VICKI!!!--- we will always love you.

2 comments:

Papa G said...

You brought Grandma Vicki so much joy. She was so proud of you and your family and was blessed to stick around long enough to get to know both Bean and Boo.

Bearcub Mama said...

Oh, so sweet! You all were very lucky to have such a special Grandma. :) She'll always smile that bright smile down on you from Heaven!